When it comes to buy something online, what is the first thing you do? Usually, you check product reviews to find out what others are saying about it. For example, a famous review site TripAdvisor is worth up to $8.5 billion a year. It is because of this reason.
Though everyone cannot be a big shot like TripAdvisor, a lot of people earn up to a few hundred to thousand dollars per month with a review site. There are two ways of starting a review site. You can either add reviews section on your WordPress blog or create just another reviews site.
No matter what you choose, don’t choose a niche which has high competition. For example, you can find thousands of digital camera reviews, but most of them don’t talk about camera accessories.
You need to choose the right niche to build a review site. Choose a niche which is less competitive and something that you love it. Ask these questions to yourself –
- What resources do you have to offer?
- Are there advertisers selling paid products?
- Can you find affiliate programs?
- What about the competition?
- Are others making money in this market?
This way, you can research with tools like Google Keyword Planner, Ahrefs, and SEMRush.
Before starting your website, choose the right blogging platform. There are two types of WordPress platforms. First of all, WordPress.com is a limited hosting platform. You can either choose WordPress.com (a limited hosting platform) or WordPress.org (self-hosted WordPress).
WordPress.comis a limited hosting platform. So, it is better to use WordPress.org as it iscompletely independent to create all types of websites. You can access allfeatures out of the box. You will need good hosting and domain name to startwith WordPress. This way, we recommend Siteground.
After signing up for hosting and setting up domain name, you need to install WordPress. Some hosting companies have 1-click WordPress setup.
Choose the Right Theme
First of all, you need to select the right theme. You may find several themes which offer complete functionality of review site in the theme. You need to avoid review site template. Most of them are bloated and you will end up using them for lifetime. So, it is better to go with WordPress reviews plugin as it works with any design/theme you pick. You can easily change the themes in future without hiring a developer.
Install the Best Reviews Plugin
First of all, you have to install and activate WP Product Review Lite plugin. It comes for free and with all major features. However, you may want to upgrade to premium version to unlock amazing features. It is easy to use and you can stand out in searches.
Add a Review in Your Site
With WP Product Review plugin, you can add a review. Simple create a new post and write the main review like any other post in WordPress. Scroll down to the bottom on post edit screen. It will show up the Meta box “Product review extra settings”. Click “Yes” next to “Is this a review post?”
It will open Meta box and you can see more settings for review. Add product details like images, text for ‘buy now’ button, affiliate or product link, and price of the product.
Add specific product features and grade score for that feature. Now you will need to add the lists of pros and cons. Add the best features of product in list of pros and its cons. Save or publish the post.
Display Reviews in Sidebar
With WP Product Review, you can show review posts in sidebar and other widget-enabled areas. Go to “Appearance > Widgets” and it will show up the latest products and top products widgets.
Add the widget to sidebar and configure the options available. Select number of products to display, image display and product title settings. Click on save button once done.
Monetizing Your Reviews Site
Reviews sites are the best way to generate side income. There are different ways to monetize your product reviews site –
- Affiliate Marketing – You can recommend products on your site to make money in the form of commission when users click on referral link provided by you and buy the product. You have to choose products under affiliate program. So, it is wise to join an affiliate network like Amazon Associates to choose best products in every niche.
- Ads – Most websites generate revenue by showing ads. You get paid when user clicks on ad on your site or for impressions. You can use Google AdSense to display ads on your site. You can access thousands of advertisers looking for target audiences.
- Paid Promotions – It is the direct approach to avoid the middleman and reach out to businesses who want someone to review their products. Test the product and write your honest review to get paid. It needs a lot of outreach but can influence quality of reviews.
Optimize Your Reviews Site
There are plenty of powerful plugins to help you grow your reviews site. Here are some of the best plugins to install –
- Yoast SEO – It is a complete SEO plugin for WordPress and it can help you achieve more visitors from searches.
- WPForms – It is the best contact form plugin for WordPress and you can create attractive contact forms with easy drag and drop builder.
- ThirstyAffiliates – You can add, manage, and edit affiliate links and cloak them on WordPress.
- MonsterInsights – You can install Google Analytics in your WordPress and it shows easy to read reports to know the source of your visitors and which most popular reviews on your site are.
We hope this article was helpful to you. Even the beginners can learn using WordPress. However, you need help to learn new things with your website growth. This is where WPEasier comes handy. It is the free WordPress guide to help you start up. You can find plenty of helpful contents for start-ups, bloggers and businesses.